Manuscripts and Talks
- Modeling Truth 17 The most detailed (and recent) exposition of my material on truth
- Measurement accuracy realism
- Final or near final version of the paper. To appear in a volume on "The experimental side of modeling" edited by Isabelle Peschard and Bas van Fraassen
- Measurement accuracy realism:
- Slides for talk version of the above - quicker way to see what this is about
- What - and how - do we learn when we "give an ontology"?
- Power point talk, not yet in manuscript form
My current vita
- The following manuscripts and talks are unlikely ever to be published but are in very accessible form.
The “No Miracles Argument” and the “Base Rate Fallacy" — last modified 2007-01-30 05:00 PM
Why the base rate fallacy does not unseat the no miracles argument. I don’t have time to polish this up for publication – to survey the literature – but otherwise this is pretty complete.
Unity and Disunity in Science — last modified 2007-01-30 05:11 PM
REPLACEMENT/ULTRA-WEAK SUPERVENIENCE AND THE FODOR-STICH MODAL FALLACY — last modified 2007-01-30 05:13 PM
ARE PROPERTIES SETS? — last modified 2007-01-30 08:27 PM
A citical examination of Lewis's suggestion that one can take properties to be sets of possibiliat. In progess.
The Background and Heritage of Positivism:An Introduction — last modified 2007-01-30 08:30 PM
This is an educational tool, introducing students to some of the basic ideas of positivism, as it came widely to be perceived, and difficulties with this approach to science. Does not assume any background. Unpublished
Unification and Mechanisms — last modified 2008-01-08 02:53 PM
In progress (advanced state)
Slides from talk