You are here: Home / Undergraduate Program / Minoring in Philosophy / Philosophy Minor FAQs

Philosophy Minor FAQs

This FAQ page answers a number of questions that students often have about minoring in Philosophy.

Frequently Asked Questions - For Minors

1. How can I use lower-division units to satisfy the minor?

You can do so only by taking course 12 as a substitute for one upper-division course.

2. Can courses I took at community college be used to satisfy the minor?

Yes, but only under certain conditions. Students may substitute a course approved as equivalent to Philosophy 12. See the ASSIST Web page to find UCD courses equivalent to your community college courses.

3. How and when should I file for the minor?

Forms are available only from your college office. They require signature of both the major advisor and the minor advisor. Substitutions for listed courses may be made only through petition to the Dean's Office, signed by the minor adviser. Therefore, you should file only when you either have completed all the listed courses or are certain that you will. The last date for filing is the end of the second week of instruction in the quarter of graduation.

4. Do I need to satisfy the Preparatory Subject Matter (lower-division courses) before I can take upper-division philosophy courses?

Courses may be taken in any order, but be sure to check for prerequisites. For most people, Philosophy 12 should be taken before any other logic course. Philosophy 21 should be taken before any course in ancient philosophy (160, 161, 162). Philosophy 22N should be taken before any course in modern philosophy (151, 157, 168, 169, 170, 172, 174, 175).

5. Do graduate courses count toward the minor?

Yes. But see the instructor before signing up, to determine whether you are prepared for the course. Also, be aware that graduate courses do not count toward the L&S; unit requirements for upper-division courses. These are: 1) 64 units of upper-division overall, 2) 27 upper-division units, including 18 upper-division units in the major, completed on the Davis campus. These requirements are especially crucial for community college transfer students with 100+ transferred units.

6. Can I substitute courses from other departments or programs for philosophy units?

No. The unit requirement for the philosophy minor is already quite low.

7. Do courses used to satisfy the GE requirements count toward the minor?


8. Can I take courses for the minor pass/non-pass?

Yes, up to any limits set by your college. If you are thinking about taking a course on this basis, please see the minor advisor about how it will look on your transcript.

9. Other questions?

Send other questions to

Document Actions



1240 Social Science and Humanities
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
Phone: (530) 752-0703
Fax: (530) 752-8964


UC Davis and the Philosophy Department are committed to fostering an environment that is respectful, welcoming, and inclusive for students, faculty, and staff. Sexual harassment is prohibited by law and University policy. UC Davis has established complaint resolution procedures for students to use if they have concerns or complaints regarding suspected sexual harassment. For information, students may call the Harassment and Discrimination Assistance and Prevention Program (530-752-9255), or the Anonymous Call Line (530-752-2255). Additional information is available at