- Ph.D., Philosophy with Science & Technology Studies designated emphasis, University of California, Davis
- B.A., Philosophy, Virginia Tech (Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude)
Shawn joined the UC Davis Philosophy Department in 2020. He has also taught at Mills College at Northeastern University, Sacramento State University, Chico State University, Augusta State University, and the University of South Carolina.
Shawn’s interests range from the philosophy of science to the philosophy of art — an example of the intersection of which is the role of aesthetic considerations in the selection of physical theories. He also likes to think about the relationship between emotions and moods, the limits of digital computers, and the philosophical essay as a genre of writing.
- Miller, Shawn. "Daring Imagination," The Anarchist Review of Books, no. 4 (Summer/Fall 2022).
- Miller, Shawn. "An Anatomy of the World," The Anarchist Review of Books, no. 3 (Winter/Spring 2022).
- Miller, Shawn A. "The e-Mouse Atlas Project (1992- )," Embryo Project Encyclopedia (2014-06-11). ISSN: 1940-5030 http://embryo.asu.edu/handle/10776/7902.
Shawn teaches Scientific Reasoning, Introduction to Philosophy of Science, Introduction to Philosophy of Biology, Philosophy of Biology, and Critical Thinking.